1. to give up (something) for something else; part with for some equivalent or substitute.
2. to replace (returned merchandise) with something else.
3. to give and receive reciprocally; interchange
4. to transfer for a recompense; barter
5. to make an exchange; engage in bartering, replacing, or substituting one thing for another.
6. to pass or be taken in exchange or as an equivalent.
7. the act, process, or an instance of exchanging.
8. something that is given or received as a replacement or substitution for something else
9. the settling of debits and credits by bills of exchange rather than by the actual transfer of money.